The perfect creamy soup for a cold winter day! This Creamy Spinach Potato Soup has no dairy in it despite it’s creamy texture!
Y’all know how I feel about soup… Once the cold weather comes around, I’m craving soup all day every day. I have a soft spot for creamy soups and cream of mushroom is one of my favourites! However, with cream of mushroom usually comes with allllll the calories because of the cream, the parmesan, and the croutons. Go big or go home right? Ha!
Last week, when it was snowing, I was like soup, soup, soup, I need soup! As a fan of the throw whatever you have in the fridge into the pot style of cooking, I spotted some spinach, onion, and potatoes and it quickly became this soup!
On Thursday, I went up to Vaughn with H to celebrate healthy hearts with Studio Lagree, Studio K-O, and Skechers and got our sweat on. Needless to say, my butt was kicked, H sweat through his top, and the next day, we were sore! It was H’s first class on the Megaformer and it definitely was different for him.
Of course right afterwards, I would be the lucky girl who would catch a cold right before the long weekend so this girlie didn’t get to enjoy running in shorts (from snow to shorts!!) over the weekend like everyone else. I ended up only getting 1 run in on Wednesday and the Studio Lagree workout on Thursday thanks to my cold. However, this meant I got to spend the weekend mainly drinking soup and luckily for me, I had everything I needed to make this creamy spinach potato soup!
For this creamy spinach potato soup, you’ll need a pan deep enough to fit the 8 cups of broth + ingredients (I’m using the Ballarini Treviso Ceramic Saute Pan) and you’ll need a blender (I’m using the Hamilton Beach blender I got 4 years ago so no link! Sorry).
I’m using the blender to create the creamy texture. Keep in mind that hot liquid expands and to avoid a messy explosion in my kitchen, I did not fill my blender up to the top and I took out the stopper on the lid. Instead, I covered the hole in the lid with a damp paper towel to give the heat some place to escape.
- 5 tablespoons butter (give or take)
- 1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced finely
- 4 potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 8 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth to make this vegetarian)
- 8 oz of spinach (one large bag)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place butter in pan and let it heat up and coat it entirely.
- Toss in the onions, garlic, and then the potatoes.
- Let it brown slightly before adding the broth.
- Let it simmer.
- Taste and season accordingly with salt and pepper.
- Once it's simmered, add in the spinach and wait for it to wilt.
- Carefully transfer the soup into the blend, 2-3 cups at a time.
- Blend til smooth.
What’s your favourite soup for the cold weather?
pin me for later