Protein is an essential nutrient that is responsible for a host of activities in the body. Protein is crucial to the regulation and maintenance of the body and plays a role in blood clotting, fluid balance, hormone and enzyme production, and cell repair.
Athletes such as runners may require protein to aid in an elevated level of functioning and possibly adaptation to the exercise stimulus as studies show that athletes will likely benefit from diets containing more protein.
Who what are some ways to get some protein in you?
- 3 ounces of chicken breast has 27 grams of protein
- 3 ounces of pork has 22.2 grams of protein
- 3 ounces of turkey breast has 26 grams of protein
- 3 ounces of salmon has 22 grams of protein
Non Meat Options
- 1 cup of tofu has 20 grams of protein
- 1 cup of lentils has 18 grams of protein
- 1 cup of chickpeas has 12 grams of protein
- 1 cup chopped up has 17 grams of protein
QOTD: How do you get your protein in?