Oh my goodness – I did my first post shin splints run (Sunday was a slow/easy test run so it totally doesn’t count!) and oh my goodness it definitely warrants it’s own Think out Loud Thursdays hosted by lovely Running with Spoons!
I started out strong. When starting, I felt pretty good! It was like every other run and after a while… my thoughts went completely the opposite direction starting at 1.8k… get ready for my jumbled thoughts!
- This feels great! I feel like I can do this forever. It’s been a while. Wait. It’s only been 1.8k NOT EVEN 2K?! omg. How has it not been 2k yet?
- My lungs. My goodness, my lungs.
- Am I almost done? 3k?! How much more do I have to go?!
- 4, I can do 4 more!
- WHY are the street light gods giving me all greens today?! I need a red! Red!
- GREEN AGAIN?
- Maybe I can cut it short… how did I do this before? Why am I so tired?! I’m not even halfway done. Who thought it was a good idea to run?!
- How did I lose SO much fitness in one week. So eating All You Can Eat sushi twice last week wasn’t a good idea…
- I’m going out too fast. This is not sustainable. SLOW DOWN.
- Those Ruffles probably weren’t a good idea either.
- Hill. Holy crap this is a hill. When did this path get a hill?!
- Omg HALF WAY. HALF WAY. I CAN TURN AROUND.
- How am I so out of breath from 3.5k? How did I do 21k a few months ago?
- Okay I need to lay down.
- WHY IS IT ANOTHER GREEN LIGHT?
- Okay so the lesson here is to never take a week off or at least cross train. Darn you shin splints!
- Okay I’m almost home. I’m almost home. I can do this.
- HOME. YES. HOME.
Whew! 7.45k had never seemed so hard! Usually after a (voluntary) break, I come back feeling refreshed and ready to take on any run but not yesterday. Yesterday was tiring!
How do you usually feel after breaks? I swear by taking breaks post races but usually I don’t feel like this! Haha