After coming home from pretty much three trips back to back, I’ve been dying for a hearty home cooked meal. While it was fun eating takeout and at restaurants, I was really craving something that reminded me of home. When I got back from my trips, I was practically working non-stop so it was back to take out and fast food. Finally the other night I had a chance to run out to my local Loblaw and picked up some items so I could make myself a nice easy hearty pork and beef chili!
I seriously love grocery stores that are opened 24 hours since 1. no lines late night and 2. I was able to get my groceries in the evening. Anyways, I usually have the ingredients for chili on hand but I had used it all up for my last batch.
For this recipe, I use both ground pork and ground beef because two meats makes it twice as delicious right? Ha! Anyways, the first time I made chili, I only had 1 pound of each meat so I threw them in together. I ended up enjoying it so that’s just how I make mine now ;)
For this recipe, you’ll need a big wok or a deep pan if you plan on browning your ingredients before placing it into your slow cooker. I used the Stay or Go Programmable 5 Quart Slow Cooker from Hamilton Beach and a large metal wok. Once again, the slow cooker is my favourite since I can just spend 15 minutes before bed prepping then set it for 8 hours aka I’ll wake up with delicious chili!
Anyways, enough of my chit chat, here’s my go-to hearty pork and beef chili recipe!
Hearty Slow Cooker Pork and Beef Chili
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 1.5 tablespoon of paprika
- 4 tablespoon of chilli powder, and then I freehanded some more
- 1 onion chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely diced
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb lean beef
- 1 lb lean pork
- 1 can of pinto beans
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 can of tomato paste
- In a pan, put in your onion, garlic, and dry seasoning for around 3 minutes before putting in the pork and beef.
- Cook the meat (don't forget to break it up) until lightly browned before transferring it into the slow cooker.
- Then pour in your beans (3 cans is a lot of liquids so pick one to drain), diced tomato, tomato paste, and add more chilli powder, salt, and pepper if you desire.
- Set for 8 hours on low.
- Optional: Grate on cheese and a dollop of sour cream before serving if desired
Simple right? I know others tend to have more complicated chilis but I like keeping mine simple. Most of the dry ingredients I always have on hand and whenever canned beans are on sale, I tend to stock up! Keeping the recipe simple, I can make it whenever I’m in a pinch and need something for a potluck or am craving something hearty.
[Tweet “Easy Hearty Slow Cooker Pork and Beef Chili for a chilly day! @HamiltonBeachCA”]
QOTD: What do you like to put in your chili?
pin it for later!
Other places to connect with me
Email: email@example.com (business inquiries firstname.lastname@example.org)