This Spicy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Meal Prep is inspired by the chicken burrito bowls from Chipotle! It’s so easy to make and takes less than 30 minutes to meal prep for four days!
Chipotle inspired meal prep | Spicy Chicken and Rice in the Instant Pot
Folks, it’s been freezing cold in Toronto. Like cycling through snow, ice, frozen rain, type of cold. I was excited about having a white Christmas but now that it’s mid-January, I’m over it. I have to put on base layers under my sweatpants to get to work! It’s practically like having to put on a costume because of all the additional layers! This weather essentially activated hibernation mode and when I’m at work and I want to cross the street for some Chipotle, I’ve got to go put on all my layers plus switch into my winter boot. Nope. There’s got to be a better way!
And thus, this Spicy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Meal Prep was born! I want my Chipotle and this is pretty much the next best thing (well, number 1 now since it means I don’t have to go outside). With the Instant Pot, this meal is so easy to make and very hands off. You can also make this without the Instant Pot but you just have to go through a few extra steps.
Update: Hello from 2019! This post was originally written in January 17, 2018 and it is currently March 2019, and I’ve updated this post with some new photos and an updated video. So if you’ve gotten this post in your inbox already and think you’re seeing double then you are correct! After a year of using the Instant Pot, I’ve picked up some tips and tricks and decided to give this easy Instant Pot chicken and rice meal prep a refresh so I’m re-publishing this recipe. Check out the new photos and video plus new tips such as lining the bottom of the pot with onions so you don’t get a burn message!
What You Need For The Spicy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Meal Prep
This Spicy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Meal Prep is made in two steps. The first round, you put in
Then after you pressure cook that, you open it and stir in
- cilantro or garnish of your choice
and then you just give it a stir and you’re ready to go! Easy right? Other things you can add in afterwards could be chopped red onions, sour cream, cheese, guac, and lettuce just like Chipotle does! However, mix sour cream and guac later, on the day of eating because it might spoil.
So What’s An Instant Pot?
I have the Duo Plus 9 in 1 Instant Pot. The Duo Plus replaces 9 commonly used kitchen appliances – Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice/Porridge Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Cake/Egg Maker, Sauté/Searing, Steam, Warm and Sterilize. It’s quite the multi-use product! Plus, because this is using the Instant Pot, it falls under the #OnePotRecipe category too! Minimal dishes! Win-Win-Win!
Tips and Notes for Making the Spicy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Meal Prep
- To prevent the chicken and rice from burning in the Instant Pot, we layer all the ingredients. We start with onions (they let out a lot of liquid when they are pressure cooked. When the rice gets poured in, I gently pat it down to make sure the rice is in the liquid, do not stir.
- I used extra chunky salsa for this Instant Pot chicken and rice, keep in mind that the salsa that you pick may have a different liquid amount in them and affect how liquidly the recipe comes out. But not to worry, the liquid will thicken up once you start stirring in your corn and beans.
- I used frozen corn directly into the Instant Pot since the heat from the Instant Pot will cook the frozen corn through.
- Instead of water, you can use chicken broth to amp up the flavour in this chicken and rice meal prep
- I’m a huge fan of glass containers for packing my lunches in as they’re great for reheating in the microwave and they don’t hold onto smells over time. They come in square, rectangle, and circular shapes.
- If you want to mix it up, shred your chicken or cut it into smaller cubes and put it inside a tortilla and turn it into a burrito
- Turn this into a spicy meal prep burrito by shredding the chicken and rolling it up with tortilla wrap.
- Rinsing the rice first will remove some of the starch, and will help prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the Instant Pot if that is a huge concern to you.
Spicy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Meal Prep
- 1 onion chopped roughly
- 3 chicken breast
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp chili
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 500 ml salsa
- 1.3 cups water or broth* see notes
- 1 cup long grain white rice
add in after
- 1 can beans
- 1 cup corn
Instant Pot Instructions
- Place the ingredients in this layer, do not stir: onion, chicken, spices/seasonings, salsa, rice, and water/broth.
- Give the rice a gentle tap to make sure all the rice is touching the liquids. Do not stir.
- Put your lid on and make sure to seal the little knob on it and turn the instant pot on high pressure for 9 minutes. When done, quick release.
- Once ready, open the lid, remove the chicken to slice or shred. Set it aside. Mix in the beans and corn. Serve immediately or portion into containers for later.
Stove Top Instructions
- Mix 1 cup rice, salsa, and 2 cup water in small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover with lid and reduce heat to low. Let it simmer, stirring every 5-7 minutes until rice is tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Coat the chicken with your spice mix and in a cast iron, cook your chicken until it's done.
- Once the rice is done, stir in the beans, corn, and the chicken. Serve immediately or portion into containers for later.
FAQ’s for This Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
Can I Use A Different Rice for this chicken and rice recipe?
Yes, if they have the same cook time. Something like brown rice might not work as well but jasmin rice could work. Note: I have not tested this.
Can I Use Frozen Chicken?
I would not recommend it due to the chicken and rice cooking together in the Instant Pot, it could skew the liquid to rice ratio.
How to Avoid the Burn Message
I had some concerns about getting a burn message, to make sure your chicken and rice do not burn, make sure you 1. layer the onions on the bottom and 2. place the chicken down next. This way the rice isn’t near the bottom of the pot and there’s a layer between them.
Want to try another Instant Pot recipes? Check these recipes out
- Healthier Instant Pot Butter Chicken
- Healthy Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
- Easy Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Cashew Chicken
- Instant Pot Poached Eggs