This Spicy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Meal Prep is inspired by the chicken burrito bowls from Chipotle! It’s so easy to make and takes less than 30 minutes to meal prep for four days!
Spicy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Meal Prep
Folks, it’s been freezing cold in Toronto. Like cycling through snow, ice, frozen rain, type of cold. I was excited about having a white Christmas but now that it’s mid-January, I’m over it. I have to put on base layers under my sweatpants to get to work! It’s practically like having to put on a costume because of all the additional layers! This weather essentially activated hibernation mode and when I’m at work and I want to cross the street for some Chipotle, I’ve got to go put on all my layers plus switch into my winter boot. Nope. There’s got to be a better way!
And thus, this Spicy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Meal Prep was born! I want my Chipotle and this is pretty much the next best thing (well, number 1 now since it means I don’t have to go outside). With the Instant Pot, this meal is so easy to make and very hands off. You can also make this without the Instant Pot but you just have to go through a few extra steps.
What You Need For The Spicy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Meal Prep
This Spicy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Meal Prep is made in two steps. The first round, you put in
Then after you pressure cook that, you open it and stir in
and then you just give it a stir and you’re ready to go! Easy right? Other things you can add in afterwards could be chopped red onions, sour cream, cheese, guac, and lettuce just like Chipotle does! However, mix sour cream and guac later, on the day of eating because it might spoil.
So What’s An Instant Pot?
I have the Duo Plus 9 in 1 Instant Pot. The Duo Plus replaces 9 commonly used kitchen appliances – Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice/Porridge Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Cake/Egg Maker, Sauté/Searing, Steam, Warm and Sterilize. It’s quite the multi-use product! Plus, because this is using the Instant Pot, it falls under the #OnePotRecipe category too! Minimal dishes! Win-Win-Win!
Tips for Making the Perfect Spicy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Meal Prep
- Instead of water, you can use chicken broth to amp up the flavour in this chicken and rice meal prep
- I use these bento boxes to pack my chicken and rice to work
- If you want to mix it up, shred your chicken or cut it into smaller cubes and put it inside a tortilla and turn it into a burrito
- If you’re worried about your rice burning as you don’t want to add too much liquids, mix the rice mixture together in a separate bowl, place the chicken breasts down FIRST and then layer the rice on top of it!
- Turn this into a spicy meal prep burrito by shredding the chicken and rolling it up with tortilla wrap.
- Rinsing the rice first will remove some of the starch, and will help prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the Instant Pot.
How to Make This Spicy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Meal Prep (1 min video)
Spicy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Meal Prep
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 430 ml salsa
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1.5-2 cups water* see notes
- 2 chicken breast each cut in half
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1 tbsp chili
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
add in after
- 1 can beans
- 1 cup corn
Instant Pot Instructions
- Place the rice, water, salsa, and oil in the pot. Stir to combine.
- Place the chicken pieces on top and sprinkle generously with the spice mix, if you have left over spices, sprinkle it into the rice mix.
- Put your lid on and make sure to seal the little knob on it and turn the instant pot on high pressure for 8 minutes. When done, quick release.
- Once ready, open the lid and give it a quick stir before removing the chicken. Set it aside and mix in the beans, corn, and cilantro. Serve immediately or portion into containers for later.
Stove Top Instructions
- Mix 1 cup rice, salsa, and 2 cup water in small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover with lid and reduce heat to low. Let it simmer, stirring every 5-7 minutes until rice is tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Coat the chicken with your spice mix and in a cast iron, cook your chicken until it's done.
- Once the rice is done, stir in the beans, corn, cilantro, and the chicken. Serve immediately or portion into containers for later.
FAQ’s for This Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
Can I Use A Different Rice for this chicken and rice recipe?
Yes, if they have the same cook time. Something like brown rice might not work as well but jasmin rice could work. Note: I have not tested this.
Can I Use Frozen Chicken?
I would not recommend it due to the chicken and rice cooking together in the Instant Pot, it could skew the liquid to rice ratio.
[Tweet “Spicy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Meal Prep (Inspired by Chipotle Burrito Bowls) + Video”]
Want to try another Instant Pot recipes? Check these recipes out