Are you ready for breakfast with a twist? Prepared in under 10 minutes the night before, this Chocolate Chia Steel Cut Overnight Oats is so delicious and creamy, that it’s like eating ice cream for breakfast!
Disclaimer: This post is written in partnership with Loblaw as part of a multi-month partnership for the Loblaw 2018 Canadian Food Trends. As always, all opinions are my own and thank you for supporting the brands who support me! These partnerships are what makes working on this blog possible
Chocolate Chia Steel Cut Overnight Oats
Mornings can be challenging – there are days where I am racing out the door and don’t have time to make breakfast. I know I could just wake up an hour earlier but let’s be honest, I love my bed and early mornings are hard. So today, I’ve partnered up with Loblaw for a fun challenge: Cooking on the Clock where I try and make breakfast in under 20 minutes! Are you ready, for a breakfast with a twist? This Chocolate Chia Steel Cut Overnight Oats takes less than 10 minutes to put together the night before and in the morning, you’ll have this delicious and creamy overnight oats that tastes just like chocolate ice cream. That’s right, chocolate ice cream for breakfast.
For more cooking on the clock recipes and info on the Loblaw 2018 Canadian Food Trends, visit Loblaws.ca/TasteTheNewNext
What You’ll Need To Make This Chocolate Chia Steel Cut Overnight Oats
- steel cut oats
- almond milk
- cocoa powder
- chia seeds
- honey (or maple syrup)
- greek yogurt
- and a pinch of salt
How to Make Overnight Steel Cut Oats (no cook)
Steel cut oats usually takes 20-30 minutes on the stove top to cook in the morning. This is why I chose to make this overnight oats style. While overnight steel cut oats sound the same as regular overnight oats, they are different as they maintain more of a chew than using regular rolled oats. If you take a look at the photo below of the steel cut oats, you’ll see right away that it shape and cut is different than rolled oats.
So to make this no cook steel cut overnight oats, the night before, all you have to do is add all your ingredients into a mason jar, give it a good stir, and then place it in the fridge! Easy peasy. The next day, you can just eat it straight from the jar or if you have some extra time, cut up some fruit and eat them together.
Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Chocolate Chia Steel Cut Overnight Oats
- This recipe will not work for instant steel cut oats. The regular steel cut oats will maintain it’s chewy texture and the instant one will be mushy.
- I add greek yogurt and chia seeds to this steel cut overnight oats because it makes it’s thicker (chia seeds) and creamier (greek yogurt).
- To make this chocolate chia steel cut overnight oats softer and less chewy, let it sit in the fridge for 2 days. (note: this is good to last in the fridge for up to 4 days)
- While I don’t usually have a preference between regular milk and almond milk as I don’t have a dietary restriction around it, I would 100% recommend making this with almond milk as it seemed to be absorbed by the steel cut oats better
For tips, recipes, and more information on the Loblaw 2018 Canadian Food Trends, visit Loblaws.ca/TasteTheNewNext
Chocolate Chia Steel Cut Overnight Oats
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- 1-2 tbsp chia seeds depending on how thick you'd like it
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt vanilla or plain
- 1-2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup almond milk (and a little extra to top off after mixing)
- fresh strawberries, bananas, raspberries to serve
- In your 12 oz mason jar, mix together your steel cut oats, chia seeds, cocoa powder, and pinch of salt.
- Once combined, mix in the greek yogurt, honey, and almond milk. If there is still space at the top of the jar, add in a extra splash of almond milk.
- Place in the refrigerator, covered, overnight. Serve cold the next morning with fresh fruit on top for an extra boost of healthy!
Want other delicious breakfast ideas?
- Four Easy Overnight Oats
- Creamy Banana Smoothie Bowl
- Freezer Friendly Ham, Egg, and Cheese Bagel Bombs
Other places to connect with me
Instagram: @runcarmyrun @curiouslychasing @carmyshungry
Email: [email protected]
Vlogs/Recipe Videos: Youtube