This Homemade Enchilada Sauce packed with flavour and is so simple to make. It’s also freezer friendly so you can make a double batch and freezer half for later!
The Easiest Enchilada Sauce
Got 10 minutes? That’s all you need to make this super easy enchilada sauce. I love having enchilada sauce on hand! I usually have shredded chicken on hand my weekly meal preps and having enchilada sauce means I can change up the flavours throughout the week to keep things exciting without having to put in too much effort.
Plus I find that store bought enchilada sauces tend to have added sugar, colourings, and “natural flavours” and while I don’t mind having sugar in my general diet, if I can make it at home without the extras non-necessities, then why not?
What You’ll Need To Make Enchilada Sauce at Home
- chipotle pepper + adobo sauce
- chicken or vegetable broth/stock
- olive oil
- chili powder
- dried oregano
- onion powder
- tomato paste
How To Make Homemade Enchilada Sauce at Home
In a food processor or blender, add in your chipotle pepper and adobo sauce with 1/2 cup of stock. Blend until smooth.
In a saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat and add in the flour, whisking for 1 minute or until fully combined.
Next, add in the chili powder, cumin, dried oregano, onion powder, salt, and tomato paste before stirring in the rest of your stock around 1/2 cup at a time.
Let it simmer until it is at the thickness you desire.
Freezing Instructions for Enchilada Sauce
- Freeze the enchiladas in an airtight container.
- When ready to use, let the sauce thaw out in the fridge.
- I do not recommend thawing and refreezing multiple times. Try using something like souper cubes or freezing in 1 cup portions so you can thaw out the sauce as needed.
Ways To Use Enchilada Sauce
- enchilada soup
- enchilada chicken (slowcooker + chicken + sauce, so easy, so good!)
- Mexican lasagna
- huevos rancheros
Want to try another sauce? Here’s my basic Homemade Marinara Sauce recipe.
Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- 2 chipotle pepper
- 2 tbsp adobo sauce
- 2.5 cups chicken or vegetable broth/stock
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp flour
- 4 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- In a food processor or blender, add in your chipotle pepper and adobo sauce with 1/2 cup of stock. Blend until smooth.
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat and add in the flour, whisking for 1 minute or until fully combined.
- Next, add in the chili powder, cumin, dried oregano, onion powder, salt, and tomato paste before stirring in the rest of your stock around 1/2 cup at a time.
- Let it simmer until it is at the thickness you desire.
RESOURCES AND TIPS FOR MEAL PREPPING
- How To Cook Chicken Breasts Perfectly
- What Is An Instant Pot
- Tips To Help You Meal Prep For The Week Successfully
- Meal Prep Support Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/mealprepsupport/