This is the easiest shredded chicken recipe! This Instant Pot Salsa Chicken only takes a few ingredients to make and can be used in anything from your next taco night, burrito, or meal prep.
Instant Pot Shredded Salsa Chicken
Using the Instant Pot leads to some super moist shredded chicken and is the easiest way to make shredded chicken! Shredded chicken is one of my go-to recipes when I meal prep buffet style or whenever it’s Taco Tuesday and I need to get something on the table quickly.
For this recipe, you’re welcome to quick release or natural release, I find that the results are the same so it just depends on if I’m in a rush or not.
Related Recipe You May Like: How to Cook a Whole Chicken in an Instant Pot
What You’ll Need To Make Shredded Salsa Chicken
- chicken breast: boneless, skinless breasts
- seasoning: garlic powder, chili powder, salt, paprika, oregano
- salsa: go as mild or as spicy as you’d like! I use medium one personally.
How To Make Shredded Salsa Chicken in the Instant Pot
In the Instant Pot, add in the chicken breasts and 1/4 cup of water before adding the seasoning on top of the chicken breasts.
Next, layer the salsa on top of the chicken breasts. Try to keep most of the salsa on top of the breasts.
Close the lid, set the valve to sealing, and set it to manual pressure for 6 minutes.
Natural pressure release for 10 minutes when done. Quick release the rest of the pressure if needed. There shouldn’t much pressure left after.
Shred the chicken and return back to the sauce.
Ways To Use Up Shredded Chicken
Shredded Instant Pot chicken is also great to have on hand as it’s perfect to have some moist shredded chicken to throw in some soup, salad, or if you want to add some additional protein into a meal. Here are some ideas of how to use shredded chicken:
- Freezer Chicken Burritos
- Sub the chicken for the beef in this Taco Bowl Meal Prep
- Chicken Taquitos (link coming soon!)
- These three recipes that I make with leftover chicken
- In tacos
How To Store Cooked Shredded Chicken
Store in the fridge for up to five days in an airtight container.
Store shredded chicken breasts in the freezer for up to three months. I like to freeze them in 1 cup/1 breasts increments in freezer safe bags so I can pull out just what I need to defrost.
Tips & Notes
You can use a KitchenAid mixer to shred your breasts quickly and easily.
This shredded chicken recipe was only tested in the Instant Pot DUO Plus 60, 6 Qt 9-in-1.
Be sure to layer the salsa on top of the chicken. I find layering ingredients help prevent burn notices.
Instant Pot Salsa Chicken
- 2 chicken breast
- 1/4 cup water, or stock
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 430 ml salsa
- In the Instant Pot, add in the chicken breasts and 1/4 cup of water before adding the seasoning on top of the chicken breasts.
- Next, layer the salsa on top of the chicken breasts. Try to keep most of the salsa on top of the breasts.
- Close the lid, set the valve to sealing, and set it to manual pressure for 6 minutes.
- Natural pressure release for 10 minutes when done. Quick release the rest of the pressure if needed. There shouldn’t much pressure left after.
- Shred the chicken and return back to the sauce.
Resources and tips for meal prepping
- How To Cook Chicken Breasts Perfectly
- What Is An Instant Pot
- Tips To Help You Meal Prep For The Week Successfully
- Tips for Meal Prepping on a Budget
- 7 Freezer Friendly Chicken Marinades
- 5 Freezer Friendly Marinades
More Instant Pot recipes you may like
- Instant Pot Korean Inspired Ragu
- Instant Pot Chicken Tinga
- Instant Pot Coconut Thai Curry Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
- Spicy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Meal Prep (inspired by the chicken burrito bowls from Chipotle)