This lightened up baked popcorn shrimp is flavour packed without being calorie packed. Easy to make, lightened up, and crispy!
H’s mother would always joke (kind of joking, kind of serious) that if something is fried, there’s a good chance I’m going to want to eat it. And it is pretty much true – I love the crunchy texture of deep fried foods but I always feel guilty after my 3rd piece of fried chicken. But I can never say no! It’s just so yummy!
There’s a microbrewery-restaurant called les 3 brasseurs/3 Brewers that H and his friends love to go to for drinks after work and they had an amazing popcorn shrimp recipe. Keyword: had. They had changed their chef I assumed and with that, the recipes. They now have pink guacamole and my very favourite popcorn shrimp from them is no longer the same.
After a recent visit (where I wanted to get their popcorn shrimp but didn’t), I decided to try my hand at making my own version of popcorn shrimp. However, since I don’t own a deep fryer (I would be in sooooo much trouble if I did!) and wanted to make a lighter version (so I could eat like 100), I decided to bake it. See what happens right?
Well, it came out crispy and just as tasty as the popcorn shrimp I held on a pedestal so I am adding this to my win column.
For this lighten up baked popcorn shrimp recipe, I made my own seasoning mix consisting of parsley, garlic powder, red chili pepper flakes, paprika, salt, pepper, grated parmesan cheese, mixed with the panko.
Side note: I decided to try my hand at a stop motion style recipe video (below!) and I’d love to know what you think of it. Dancing shrimp and all!
For this lightened up baked popcorn shrimp recipe, you’ll need two oven safe trays, a pair of tongs, and cooking oil spray (I used Pam).
Lightened Up Baked Popcorn Shrimp
- cooking spray
- 1 cup panko
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2/3 tbsp paprika
- 2/3 tbsp red chili pepper flakes
- 2/3 tbsp parsley
- 1 tbsp salt and pepper
- 1 egg white whisked
- 50 shrimp uncooked, peeled, deveined
- Heat your oven up to 350F and spray down your trays to keep your shrimp from sticking.
- Mix together your seasoning and panko.
- Dip your uncooked shrimp into the egg whites and after it's been coated, dredge the shrimp through the dry mixture and place it on the tray.
- Place your trays into the oven (to make your popcorn shrimp extra crispy, spray a light layer of the cooking oil on top of the shrimp) and after 4 minutes, take it out and flip the shrimps. Let the shrimp cook on the other side for 4 minutes and you're done!
[Tweet “This lightened up baked popcorn shrimp is flavour packed without being calorie packed.”]
QOTD: How do you lighten up your favourite meal?
Other places to connect with me
Instagram: @runcarmyrun @curiouslychasing @carmyshungry
Email: [email protected]
Vlogs/Recipe Videos: Youtube
pin me for later