While I was wondering what to meal prep this week, I had a strong craving for lasagna! However, I didn’t really feel like doing all the work for it with the layering and baking so I used a short cut! This lazy no bake lasagna with a skillet is fast and does not require any layering!
H is a huge fan of meat so for this recipe, I doubled the meat portions from 1lb to 2lbs. If you’re not as big of a fan of meats as he is, drop it back to 1lb! While making this, I was hoping this would last a bit under 1 week of lunch for us (yay for working weekends…) but guess who was around while I made this and had a huge bowl then considered seconds? Yep. So as I’m typing this up, I really only have 2/3 of the dish left for the rest of the week! At least I know it is delicious haha.
Anyways, for the new year, I really want to step up on my meal prepping game. With my weird work schedule, nearing the end of 2016, I was grabbing beef patties on the way to work, chocolate bars on the way back, and snacking on whatever snack foods we had at work. Definitely not what I was aiming for when I say I wanted to eat healthier! This super lazy no bake lasagna should put me on the right path. I’m a very peckish person so heating up a small bowl of this and slowly munching on it is just perfect as I’m getting my greens from the spinach and the extra meat will keep me feeling full.
Also, can I share a food blogger struggle? While taking this photo, my white foam board for lighting totally fell… into my bowl of pasta! So now my beautifully white foam board has an orange blob on it. #thestruggleisreal. Thankfully nothing spilled but I’m still bummed out!
For this recipe, I used one skillet and a pot so the pasta could cook while I was making the beef. You can always do it one at a time 🙂
- 350g of penne pasta (half a bag)
- 2 pounds of lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes (15oz)
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups baby spinach
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the penne according to package directions until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, start browning the beef and onions.
- Once the beef has browned, toss in the minced garlic. Let is cook for a minute.
- Pour in the beef broth and crushed tomatoes and let it simmer until the liquid thickens (10 minutes).
- A minute or two before your pasta is done, toss in your baby spinach and drain the water once it has cooked.
- Add the drained penne and spinach to the skillet with the meat sauce. Add in ricotta. Stir together to evenly coat all of the penne.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Want more one pot dishes? Check out this One Pot Creamy Mushroom, Chicken, Spinach Pasta and Double Cheese, Bacon, Mushroom, and Egg Hash!
QOTD: What’s your favourite lazy day meal?
pin it for later