Who’s ready for back to school season? Get those lunch boxes ready for the best grilled cheese sandwich featuring Ozery Bakery’s Multi Grain OneBun. Double the cheese with a hit of protein, this really is the best grilled cheese you can have for lunch!
Disclaimer: This recipe was created in partnership with Ozery Bakery. Thank you for supporting the brands who support me to make this blog possible.
The Best Back To School Grilled Cheese
One of the very first few things I learned to make myself for a school lunch was grilled cheese. It was simple but oh so delicious. Two pieces of buttered up bread toasted perfectly with a warm ooey gooey cheesey centre. It’s a classic that never gets old and is one of the most comforting things to eat. So it makes sense to start the school year off with this comforting classic. It’s easy to eat and is a tasty reminder of home.
So what makes the perfect grilled cheese sandwich?
I know, I know. A classic is a classic. Two pieces of white bread with a slab of cheddar in the middle. But today, I wanted to step it up a notch because I wanted this is literally be the best grilled cheese you’ve ever eaten. So here’s some tips on what makes the perfect grilled cheese:
- Melty cheeses, such as the classic American cheddar, are perfect for grilled cheeses as they melt beautifully
- Dry, crumbly fresh cheeses and overly aged cheeses, such as feta cheese and parmesan, won’t melt properly in grilled cheese sandwiches
- However, if you want to use fresh cheeses and up your flavour game, pair a non-melty cheese with a melty cheese to knock your socks off!
- Topping your grilled cheese sandwich helps add additional flavours, textures, and fun to your sandwich. Consider adding vegetables, fresh herbs, 3-4x the cheese, the world is your oyster!
Today, I’m combining all those tips and have a double cheese with shredded chicken grilled cheese combo for you. However, if you’re looking for more combos so your entire week of lunches are covered, here are some more of my favourites!
- Gouda with muenster plus roasted peppers grilled cheese
- Brie with feta cheese plus bacon and tomatoes grilled cheese
- Classic cheddar with pulled pork grilled cheese
- Buffalo chicken grilled cheese
- Asiago grilled cheese sandwich with sautéed mixed mushrooms
See what I mean by the combinations are endless?
What bread to use for the best grilled cheese
There are so many breads in the grocery shop so which bread is the best for grilled cheese? Right now I am loving Ozery Bakery’s Multi Grain OneBun.
- They are so versatile (see how I made nachos with them) and delicious!
- They’re a great source of dietary fibre
- There are no artificial preservatives
- They are a source of iron
- They toast super fast thanks to being so thin
- And best of all, there are no crusts! As a picky eater growing up who refused to eat her crusts, this would have been a great alternative for my mom!
What’s in my best grilled cheese sandwich ever
Now that we’ve covered what cheeses and bread to use, here’s what I picked to make the best grilled cheese sandwich ever. With the fibre from the Ozery Bakery’s Multi Grain OneBun, dairy from the cheeses, and protein from the chicken, this is a great healthy lunch for little ones!
- Ozery Bakery’s OneBun
- Fontina cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Shredded chicken
- I like to serve my grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup. This can be packed in a thermo!
Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 1 OneBun
- 1/5 tbsp butter, very little is needed
- 1-2 ounces fontina cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded chicken
- 1/4 cups parmesan cheese
- Separate your OneBun in half and then lightly butter the outside of the bun.
- On a hot cast iron, place one slice of OneBun down, buttered side down and add on top the fontina cheese, shredded chicken, and then parmesan cheese before placing the other half of the OneBun on top.
- After 1-2 minutes (the OneBun toasts fast!) use a spatula and flip the sandwich over.
- Let the other side toast for another 1-2 minutes.
Nutrition Per Serving
RESOURCES AND TIPS FOR MAKE AHEAD LUNCHES
- Meal Prep 101
- How To Cook Chicken Breasts Perfectly
- 17 Healthy Make Ahead Work Lunches (Hot & Cold Options)
Other places to connect with me
Instagram: @runcarmyrun @curiouslychasing @carmyshungry
Email: [email protected]
Vlogs/Recipe Videos: Youtube
OMG…I use these buns ALL the time. Why did I not think of making grilled cheese with them?? My grandkids would love this for lunch tomorrow. These are our buns of choice for burgers.
I have never tried these buns, they sound awesome. I love how thin they are….so perfect for a grilled cheese! Some of those combos you suggest sound super tasty. Not sure which to try first!
I’m going to have to look for these buns. I like making grilled sandwiches with flat bread and I love the healthy aspect of these buns. I eat grilled cheese all of the time. As a grown up, the cheeses have changed since childhood but it’s still one of my favorite things to eat for lunch and dinner. Awesome!
This sounds amazing. I never really thought beyond cheddar, but the possibilities really are endless! The bread choice is also perfect. I know my daughter will love this in her lunch box!
We love Ozery Bakery buns! They are perfect for lunch sandwiches. I need to try your grilled cheese recipe. Sounds perfect!
Stefani H Pollack
I’ve never tried those buns! I’ll have to check them out! Also… my son would go crazy for this as his lunch. I never thought of packing tomato soup with a grilled cheese. So smart!
Those buns do make amazing sandwiches but I hadn’t thought of using them for grilled cheese. The perfect lunch is a cup of delicious soup and a grilled cheese sandwich with oozing cheese. Oh yum!! I getting hungry.
Oh I LOVE Ozery One Bun bread! So perfect for a grilled cheese! And I’m totally headed to your nacho recipe with them, too!!
I absolutely LOVE the idea of making grilled cheese with One Buns! I’m a little miffed that I’d never even though to do that, haha. Well, this is just in time for soup season, because I’ll totally be making my tomato soup soon — and tomato soup just isn’t complete without grilled cheese ;) Thanks for the awesome recipe! This is a keeper.