Not sure what to make for dinner? Got some chicken breast and potatoes laying around? Try this super easy Instant Pot Sriracha Chicken and Mashed Potatoes recipe!
Instant Pot Sriracha Chicken and Mashed Potatoes
Ok, raise your hand if some days your kitchen is bare because you didn’t have enough time to grocery shop. Twice I’ve found myself in this position and twice I’ve turned to this Instant Pot Sriracha Chicken and Mashed Potatoes because it’s easy to make and it’s pretty tasty, if I do say so myself. Twice, I’ve found myself with potatoes and chicken breasts (thanks to having a ton of potatoes in general and a recent truLocal delivery*) so this is the creation that I came up with! Please note that I do finish off the chicken under a broiler with additional sauce as a personal preference. If you choose to omit this step, the colour on your chicken may not look the same as mine.
*If you want to try truLocal yourself, I have a referral code: TRULOCAL9491. Using that lets you add 2 free Striploin Steaks or 4 Wild Caught Alaskan Salmon Filets your first trulocal.ca box? This is for Ontario and Alberta only. This is not sponsored – I literally had ordered the food for myself a while back and had the chicken left in my freezer!
Americans: if you are interested in a meat subscription, check out Butcherbox for hormone and antibiotic free meat delivered to your door! Use “AP10” for $10 off and free bacon in their first box! Shipping is free.
What you need to make this Instant Pot Sriracha Chicken and Mashed Potatoes recipe
For the Sriracha Chicken, you’ll need
- chicken breast
- soy sauce
- sriracha sauce
For the mashed potatoes, you’ll need
- salt and pepper
- chicken broth
- milk (optional)
- butter (optional)
How To Make Instant Pot Sriracha Chicken and Mashed Potatoes
Sooooo I don’t know if the containers I have are safe to use in the pressure cooker so here’s my “hack” on doing a pot in pot. I made a little envelope with tinfoil to hold the chicken (plus to let it marinade while I chop potatoes). I put it on top of the trivet over the potatoes and it worked perfectly!
As for the mashed potato portion, I peeled and cut up the potatoes, added some salt and pepper, and a cup of chicken broth (or water if you’d like). Then cook on high pressure for 9 minutes. When the timer goes of, use the Quick Release valve to depressurize. Remove the chicken and if there’s still a lot of liquid, drain the potatoes, leaving just a smidgen of liquid behind.
While the Instant Pot is working its magic, on the stovetop or in the microwave, heat the milk and butter together until hot and the butter has melted. Then add it into the potatoes when it’s done and you’re mashing. If you want to add the milk and butter in cold, that’s fine too! And if you choose to omit it entirely, it’s up to you – I’ve only made it with milk and butter.
Lastly, once you’re ready to mash the potatoes, to make the sriracha chicken more saucy, I had brushed the leftover sauce onto the chicken breasts. Then I popped them into the oven for a 2-3 minute broil while I’m mashing the potatoes.
Instant Pot Sriracha Chicken and Mashed Potatoes
- In a bowl, mix together your sriracha, honey, and soy sauce.
- In a piece of tin foil, place your chicken breasts on half and drizzle 80% of your sauce onto it and fold it up like an envelope. Set it aside in the fridge to marinate. (Note: if you have an Instant Pot safe dish for this, feel free to use that instead)
- Peel your russet potatoes and cut them into 1 - 1.5 inch cubes. Place them in the Instant Pot along with 1 cup of broth, salt, and pepper.
- Place a trivet on top of the potatoes and put your packet of chicken breasts on top.
- Close the lid and set it to seal. Turn the Instant Pot on manual for 9 minutes. Quick release once done.
- While the Instant Pot is working its magic, on the stovetop or in the microwave, heat the milk and butter together until hot and the butter has melted. Then add it into the potatoes when it’s done and you’re mashing. If you want to add the milk and butter in cold, that’s fine too! And if you choose to omit it entirely, it’s up to you – I’ve only made it with milk and butter.
- Once you're ready to mash the potatoes, to make the sriracha chicken more saucy, I had brushed the leftover sauce onto the chicken breasts and popped them into the oven for a 2-3 minute broil while I’m mashing the potatoes.
Want to try another Instant Pot recipes? Check these recipes out
- Healthier Instant Pot Butter Chicken
- Healthy Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
- Easy Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Spicy Chicken and Rice, Inspired by Chipotle
- Healthy Greek Chicken and Rice Instant Pot Meal Prep + Video
- Vietnamese Bun Cha Inspired Meatballs
Other places to connect with me
Instagram: @runcarmyrun @curiouslychasing @carmyshungry
Email: [email protected]
Vlogs/Recipe Videos: Youtube