Craving a delicious lo mein but want to cut back on the carbs? Try this delicious low carb lo mein made with kohlrabi noodles made in under 10 minutes in an Instant Pot!
Disclaimer: this recipe was created in partnership with Mann’s Fresh Vegetables. All opinions are my own, thank you for supporting the brands who make this blog possible!
Low Carb Instant Pot “Lo Mein”
I looooove a good lo mein! There’s just something about getting a plate of it at dim sum that really hits the spot on Sunday mornings. This dish is so versatile – you can add chicken, you can add beef, you can change up the vegetables, or in my case here, make it low carb! When I got a bag of Kohlrabi “Linguine”, I was very excited to see what I could make with it. My first thought was lo mein in my Instant Pot!
So what is Kohlrabi “Linguine”? Well Kohlrabi “Linguine” is a low-calorie and gluten-free pasta substitute made out of a “turnip cabbage.” Kohlrabi is a biennial vegetable and can be eaten raw as well as cooked. Using the kohlrabi in place of the noodles in this lo mein recipe is a delicious way to make your you hit your daily vegetable quota as well! This lo mein is refreshing and is the perfect lunch for when you’re craving something starchy but want to keep it light!
What You’ll Need To Make This Low Carb Instant Pot Lo Mein
- An Instant Pot (I have a 9-in1 6 Qt)
- Olive oil
- Mann’s Fresh Vegetable’s Kohlrabi Linguine
- Mann’s Fresh Vegetable’s Stringless Sugar Snap Peas
- Vegetable broth
- Soy sauce
- Brown sugar
Tips and Tricks To Make the Perfect Instant Pot Lo Mein
- When everything is done cooking, there will be some leftover liquid at the bottom. You can either drain the liquid or you can turn the liquid into a thicker sauce to coat your “lo mein” with by adding cornstarch to the liquid.
- If you want to add meat to this, such as chicken, I’d suggest dicing up your raw chicken into very small chunks before adding it to the bottom – under the Kohlrabi with the liquid. My rule of thumb is always at least 6 minutes under pressure per lb of chicken.
Video Instructions (1 min):
Low Carb Instant Pot Lo Mein
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 juice of lemon
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 bag Mann's Kohlrabi Linguine
- 1 bag Mann's Stringless Sugar Snap Peas
- 1 package mushroom
- 1 carrot spiralized or julienned
- On sauté mode in your Instant Pot, add olive oil and sauté your onion and garlic.
- After a minute or so, add in your lemon juice from a whole lemon, soy sauce, vegetable broth, and brown sugar and stir.
- Once combined, add your Kohlrabi Linguine, Stringless Sugar Snap Peas, sliced mushroom, and carrot to your Instant Pot.
- Turn your valve to sealing and set your Instant Pot on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Once done, give everything a good mix and serve.
- Optional: if there's extra liquid leftover, you can either drain before serving or make a slurry with cornstarch and thicken the liquid into a sauce to coat the lo mein with
Want to try another Instant Pot recipes? Check these recipes out
- Healthier Instant Pot Butter Chicken
- Healthy Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
- Easy Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Spicy Chicken and Rice, Inspired by Chipotle
- Healthy Greek Chicken and Rice Instant Pot Meal Prep + Video
- Vietnamese Bun Cha Inspired Meatballs
Other places to connect with me
Instagram: @runcarmyrun @curiouslychasing @carmyshungry
Email: [email protected]
Vlogs/Recipe Videos: Youtube