Inspired by a smoked salmon bagel, this cottage cheese and salmon recipe is a simple and delicious way to start your day or as a filling mid-day snack. These high protein cottage cheese and smoked salmon bowls come together in a flash and are topped with simple but nourishing ingredients.
I love a big bagel for breakfast and lately, I’ve really been digging cottage cheese bowls, so this cottage cheese and smoked salmon bowl combines the two! A bowl of cottage cheese topping with all the fun bagel toppings, this recipe is perfect breakfast or snack.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Thanks to the cottage cheese, this is a high protein recipe, which keeps you feeling full for longer! You definitely won’t have mid-morning hunger pangs when you start your day off with this cottage cheese and salmon bowl.
- It’s so easy to make! It only takes a couple of minutes to throw everything together. I’ve also had luck making this a day ahead of time without the avocados browning too much.
- It’s the perfect base recipe, as you can customize it however you please! Love cucumbers? Add them! Prefer lox? Swap it out! Want fresh dill? Add some!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- cottage cheese — cottage cheese is a wonderful source of protein, so it’ll leave you feeling satiated. Half a cup of 2% MF cottage cheese (110 grams) has 12 grams of protein! It’s soft, white, and creamy and it comes in different milk fat levels and curd sizes. I’m using 2% MF (2% milk fat) but I usually just pick whichever container is on sale!
- smoked salmon — smoked salmon is pretty high in quality protein and has essential omega-3 fats as well as several vitamins and minerals. I use the smoked salmon from Costco and each little individual pack has 75 grams.
- red onions — I love red onion but if you find raw red onion to be too strong, you can give it a quick soak in cold water to mellow the flavor out.
- grape tomatoes — I love the pop of color grape tomatoes provide, but they also add a rich, sweet taste.
- avocado — a great source of healthy fats, I love avocados at breakfast!
- everything bagel seasoning — no bagel inspired recipe is complete with everything bagel seasoning! I love the flavor combination of sesame seeds, sea salt flakes, dried minced garlic, dried minced onion, black sesame seeds, poppy seeds. It adds a savory, garlicky, and oniony flavor that’s also toasty and nutty.
How to Make Cottage Cheese and Salmon Bowls
- To a bowl, add the cottage cheese and smoked salmon.
- Add the sliced red onions, halved grape tomatoes, chopped avocado, and everything bagel seasoning on top. Serve immediately.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- If you are not a fan of the texture of regular cottage cheese, you can blend the cottage cheese to make whipped cottage cheese!
- Chia seeds, hemp hearts, jam, nut butter make for delicious additions to the salmon and cottage cheese bowl.
- Got extra cottage cheese? Try my cottage cheese with fruit for another breakfast recipe or cottage cheese pasta bake for an easy dinner.
- Make sure you cut everything into bite-sized pieces to make eating it easier.
- Other topping ideas include cucumbers, capers, fresh dill, chives, poached egg, bacon, and more! The sky is the limit.
Make Ahead Tips
- Meal prep: I don’t usually make this too far ahead of time as a meal prep but if I know I’m in a rush the next day, I’ll make this the night before and either add the avocado the next day or deal with a slightly browned avocado.
Cottage Cheese and Salmon
- 1 cup cottage cheese, 2% MF
- 75 grams smoked salmon, cut into bite-sized pieces (2.6 ounces)
- ¼ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 10 grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, cut into small chunks
- 1 to 2 teaspoons everything bagel seasoning
- To a bowl, add the cottage cheese, smoked salmon, sliced red onions, halved grape tomatoes, chopped avocado, and everything bagel seasoning on top. Serve immediately.
- You can add everything together in one big bowl then divide in half when serving, or divide the ingredients in half and make two separate bowls.
Nutrition Per Serving
More High Protein Breakfast Ideas to Try
- Cottage Cheese with Fruit
- Protein Chia Pudding
- High Protein Overnight Oats
- Egg White Oatmeal
- Protein Protein Balls