Here’s how to easily make chickpeas in an Instant Pot – a simple and quick method for cooking dried garbanzo beans in a pressure cooker!
Why use the Instant Pot To Cook Chickpeas?
Who loves chickpeas? Whether it’s eating it on its own, roasting it, or turning it into hummus, I love chickpeas! For ages, I’d buy up cans and cans of chickpeas whenever they have their $5 for 4 chickpeas. But when I purchased my Instant Pot, I started experimented with making dried beans in the Instant Pot.
Making chickpeas in the Instant Pot is easy beyond belief, and the texture of making chickpeas from scratch is infinitely creamier than the canned version. Plus, they’re much cheaper. Chickpeas cost $3.75 per kg and that makes quiteeeee a bit of chickpeas…
- 1 cup of dried chickpeas comes out to 3 cups cooked
- 1 cup of dried chickpeas is around 200g/7.1 oz
- 1kg is 5x 200g
- so for $3.75 CAD, if my math is correct, you can make 15 cups of cooked chickpeas!
Also, not all canned chickpeas are made equally. Some canned chickpeas may contain additives for preservation as well as a high salt content. Depending on what is sold in your local shops, cooking your own chickpeas may be a much better bet, cost wise and health wise!
PS garbanzo beans and chickpeas are the same thing. The bulk food store may label it differently.
SO WHAT’S AN INSTANT POT?
I have the Duo Plus 9 in 1 Instant Pot. The Duo Plus replaces 9 commonly used kitchen appliances – Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice/Porridge Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Cake/Egg Maker, Sauté/Searing, Steam, Warm and Sterilize. It’s quite the multi-use product! Plus, because this is using the Instant Pot, it falls under the #OnePotRecipe category too! Minimal dishes! Win-Win-Win!
Soaking vs Not Soaking Chickpeas
Some people swear by soaking their chickpeas as it makes them more digestible. I personally feel no different when I eat soaked vs unsoaked chickpeas so to save him, I skip the overnight soak.
What You Need To Make Chickpeas in the Instant Pot
- dried chickpeas
- optional: garlic
- optional: onion
I cook my chickpeas a few different ways. I tend to prefer cooking it plain and then seasoning it afterwards when I cook it in a recipe. However, to add some extra flavour, you can add flavour boosters like garlic cloves and onion. I don’t add salt in this step of cooking my chickpeas.
How To Cook Chickpeas in the Instant Pot
Measure out your chickpeas and rinse it in cold water.
In your Instant Pot, add the chickpeas and water.
Click manual and set the Instant Pot to 45 minutes. Once done, Natural Pressure Release for 15 minutes before Quick Releasing.
How to Store Instant Pot Chickpeas
- In an airtight container, store the chickpeas with some of the chickpea liquid in the fridge for up to 4 days.
How To Freeze Homemade Chickpeas
If you double or triple this recipe, you can freeze the extra chickpeas for later!
- In a freezer-safe bag or mason jar, store the chickpeas with some of the chickpea liquid in the fridge for up to 3 months.
Recipes that Uses Chickpeas
Need some yummy recipes to help you use up your homemade chickpeeas? Give these a try!
- Instant Pot Kung Pao Chickpea
- Creamy Avocado Hummus with Roasted Chickpeas
- Healthy Hamburger Soup
- Taco Hummus
- Beet Hummus
- Spicy Peanut Chickpea Curry
Instant Pot Chickpeas
- 1 cup dried chickpeas
- 4 cups water
- Measure out your chickpeas and rinse it in cold water.
- In your Instant Pot, add the chickpeas and water.
- Click manual and set the Instant Pot to 45 minutes. Once done, Natural Pressure Release for 15 minutes before Quick Releasing.
MORE INSTANT POT MEAL PREP RECIPES TO TRY
- Instant Pot Korean Inspired Ragu
- Instant Pot Chicken Tinga
- Instant Pot Coconut Thai Curry Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
- Spicy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Meal Prep (inspired by the chicken burrito bowls from Chipotle)