This Greek Chicken Meal Prep is so easy to make and is packed full of flavour thanks to the marinade. Plus, thanks to the yogurt in the marinade, the meat is extremely tender.
Greek Chicken Meal Prep
This post is a part of my 5 Easy Chicken Marinades where I share how to prepare 5 new chicken marinades ahead of time and freeze them. Here, I’m showing you just how I turn the marinaded chicken breasts into a meal!
I am obsessed with this Greek Chicken Marinade. The Greek yogurt makes the chicken so tender plus the acid from the lemon also helps break down the chicken breast while adding an extra little kick to the chicken. I’ve been really loving this Greek chicken as it is so versatile.
While for my meal prep, I marinate the whole chicken breast and bake it in the oven, you can also cut up the chicken into cubes and grill them on a stick or you can shred the cooked chicken breast and use it for a gyro!
The Marinade for the Greek Chicken Meal Prep
- ⅓ cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 lemons, juiced
- zest of one lemon
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- pinch of salt and pepper
What to served with Greek Chicken
I served my Greek Chicken meal prep with rice cooked with oregano and dill alongside onions and garlic (tossed with olive oil and salt/pepper/oregano) that was baked with the chicken. Here are other things you can serve with this chicken meal prep:
- lemon rice pilaf
- Greek salad (tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, onion, feta cheese, and olives with oregano and olive oil)
- Tzatziki sauce, pita, tomatoes, and onions
- Israeli salad (cucumber, plum tomatoes with olive oil and lemon juice)
Tips for making the perfect Greek Chicken Meal Prep
- If you are making this meal prep as a freezer meal prep, while getting ready to cook this Greek Chicken Meal Prep, do NOT quick thaw this marinade to avoid the yogurt in the marinade splitting
- Marinade the chicken for at least 30 minutes so the yogurt and lemon has some time to tenderize the chicken
- If you want to get the marinade into the chicken faster, poking some holes into the chicken with a fork before adding the marinade into it will help
- The liquid from the lemon and chicken made the onions soft in the oven, if you rather have more roasted onions, I’d recommend roasting it on a different pan.
- When ready to add, I added a dollop of yogurt to the dish so I could have a little bit of a dipping sauce – this is totally optional. Alternatively, you can add hummus or Tzatziki sauce.
- If you don’t have fresh thyme/rosemary/etc, the dried version is a great alternative.
Greek Chicken Meal Prep
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1-2 onions, chopped roughly
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- pinch oregano, salt, pepper
- lemon slices
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp dill
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- Whisk together the ingredients for (one) marinade in a small bowl until combined.
- Combine the marinade with the chicken in a ziplock freezer bag, and toss until the chicken is evenly coated in the marinade. Carefully press out the extra air in the bag before sealing. Let marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Heat oven to 425°F. Add chicken and marinade to a small baking dish. Bake chicken for 30 minutes with lemon slices and the onions and garlic cloves (that were tossed in olive oil and a pinch of salt/pepper/oregano)
- While the chicken is baking, make your rice. I used white rice so it is a 1:1 water to rice ratio. Follow the instructions for the rice you choose to use. Mix in oregano, dill, and garlic powder for extra flavour.
- Optional: once the chicken is done, broil it for 4-5 minutes for some extra colour. Once ready, let it set for 5 minutes before slicing to serve with the rice.
RESOURCES AND TIPS FOR MEAL PREPPING
- How To Cook Chicken Breasts Perfectly
- What Is An Instant Pot
- Tips To Help You Meal Prep For The Week Successfully
- Tips for Meal Prepping on a Budget
- 7 Freezer Friendly Chicken Marinades
- 5 Freezer Friendly Marinades