Curious as to how to cook a whole chicken in an Instant Pot? Keep reading to see how you can make a delicious, fall off the bone, and the juiciest whole chicken in an Instant Pot!
SO WHAT’S AN INSTANT POT?
I have the Duo Plus 9 in 1 Instant Pot (6 qt) and this is the one that this recipe has been tested in. The Duo Plus replaces 9 commonly used kitchen appliances – Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice/Porridge Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Cake/Egg Maker, Sauté/Searing, Steam, Warm and Sterilize. It’s quite the multi-use product! For more info on the Instant Pot, check out my What is an Instant Pot FAQ here!
RELATED: want more Instant Pot Recipes? Check out this Instant Pot Salisbury Steak Styled Meatballs Recipe + Video
Easy whole juicy chicken in an Instant Pot
So this whole chicken made inside an Instant Pot is one of my favourite Instant Pot recipes right now. Made inside the Instant Pot, there is no basting involved or worrying that the chicken will dry out if you take your eye off it for too long.
While I enjoy the crispy skin from baking a whole chicken traditionally, the Instant Pot version can have just as if not more crispy skin as I popped the chicken into the oven to broil for 5 minutes. Also, by making the whole chicken in an Instant Pot, the chicken is literally fall off the bone! It’s so freaking tender and moist and so easy to take apart after it’s been cooked.
Note: you can even see one of the drumstick bones practically falling off the meat just from me moving the chicken to the rack!
Tips on Making the Perfect Instant Pot Chicken
- If you have time, season your whole raw chicken and refrigerate for an hour before cooking
- Season the outside and inside of the chicken for maximum flavour
- Do not quick release once the countdown is done, let it release the pressure naturally
- Every pound of chicken should be cooked 6 minutes under pressure – this chicken was 3.8lbs so to make it easy, I cooked the chicken in the Instant Pot for 24 minutes.
What You Need To Make a Whole Chicken in an Instant Pot
- Whole chicken
- Lemon Pepper (or regular pepper)
- 1 cup chicken stock/broth or water
How To Cook a Whole Chicken in an Instant Pot
On sauté mode, drizzle in canola oil or oil of your choice.
Place your seasoned chicken (seasoned with oil, salt, pepper, paprika then and inside the cavity, season and place a sliced lemon and garlic inside) breast side down, still on saute mode, into the Instant Pot. Let it cook for 6 minutes.
After 6 minutes, flip your chicken. This was pretty much the hardest part. It took a pair of tongs and a spatula to flip the whole chicken! Then put in a cup of water/chicken stock/broth.
Turn the valve to sealing and set to 24 minutes (if you have a 4lb chicken) then let it natural pressure release before removing the chicken!
Bam! A whole cooked chicken in the Instant Pot! After removing it from the Instant Pot, to make the skin super crispy, I set it in the oven to be broiled for 5-6 minutes. Keep an eye on it!
RELATED: Got leftover chicken? Try this delicious and easy spicy chicken wrap for lunch the next day!
Whole Chicken in an Instant Pot
- 4 lb whole chicken
- 4 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp pepper
- 2.5 tbsp paprika
- 1 lemon sliced
- 5 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 cup water/chicken stock
- Season your chicken (oil, salt, pepper, paprika) and inside the cavity, season and place a sliced lemon and garlic inside.
- On sauté mode, drizzle in 2 tbsp canola oil in your Instant Pot. Then place the chicken, breast side down into the Instant Pot. Let it cook on saute mode for 6 minutes.
- Flip your chicken.
- Pour in 1 cup of water/chicken stock or broth
- Turn the valve to sealing and set to 24 minutes on manual (if you have a 4lb chicken) then let it natural pressure release before removing the chicken. (6 minutes per pound of chicken)
- After removing it from the Instant Pot, to make the skin super crispy, I set it in the oven to be broiled for 5-6 minutes.
Now… What to do with a whole chicken cooked with the Instant Pot?
Curious as to how to make stock in the Instant Pot? This post will guide you through how I make homemade chicken stock in the Instant Pot!
Check out this post here on my three freezer friendly meals that you can make (and freeze for later!) with a whole chicken! Perfect for a meal prep if you’re freezing it or as a family dinner with the whole chicken!
Here’s 3 other ways to use will all the meat if you Instant Pot a whole chicken!
Lets Chat! What’s your favourite way to use your Instant Pot? Will you try and cook a whole chicken in an Instant Pot?
Want to try another Instant Pot recipes? Check these recipes out
- Healthier Instant Pot Butter Chicken
- Healthy Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
- Homemade Healthier Instant Pot Hamburger Helper
- Easy Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Salisbury Steak Styled Meatballs
- Spicy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Meal Prep