Infused with a delicious sweet apple flavour, this Sweet Miso Apple Chicken with Roasted Bok Choy and Sweet Potatoes is sure to give your dinner a fresh new twist!
Disclaimer: This post was made in partnership with Ontario Apple Growers. Thanks for sponsoring this post OAG!
A Delicious Dinner Idea Using Apples!
Remember how a month ago, I shared a delicious breakfast recipe and the month before that, a fun dessert, both using apples? I really love how versatile and easy Ontario Grown Apples are to cook with on top of being an affordable. Today, I’ll be sharing a delicious dinner idea using apples instead so you can pretty much have apples in your breakfast, dinner, dessert, and even your lunch the next day if you’re bringing leftovers.
Remember to look for a sign or sticker to make sure that you are supporting the local Ontario Apple Growers by buying Ontario grown apples! Here’s a guide to help you pick the best apple in season to use to cook with!
What Inspired This Sweet Miso Apple Chicken with Roasted Bok Choy and Sweet Potatoes?
Have you ever tried miso soup at a Japanese restaurant? I was curious as to what would happen if I was to make a glaze of some sort to put on chicken. But I had also wanted to sweeten it up. Of course I want to do it naturally so apples was one of the first things I thought of to mix together with the miso. After a few tries, I figured out how to get that miso and apple fusion in this Asian inspired dinner. The apples are also baked alongside the chicken so it adds an additional layer of sweetness to this Sweet Miso Apple Chicken dish.
What You’ll Need To Make This Sweet Miso Apple Chicken with Roasted Bok Choy and Sweet Potatoes
- Delicious Ontario grown apples (I used McIntosh apples as it’s a sweet juicy apple so it’s perfect as we need to use the juices from it to sweeten the dish! Here’s a link to help you pick the perfect type apple to use)
- Two onions
- Bok Choy
- Chicken Breasts (or thighs if you prefer)
- Miso paste
- Chicken stock (to deglaze, you can also use white wine)
- And because this is an Asian inspired dinner, you might have to head to an Asian supermarket as I’m using Japanese Sweet Potatoes (I had luck finding these at T&T Supermarkets but not others)
Sweet Miso Apple Chicken with Roasted Bok Choy and Sweet Potatoes
- Heat oven up to 350F
- In a pan, add 1 tbsp of canola oil and let it heat up before searing your chicken on both sides until lightly browned.
- Set the chicken aside and in the same pan, add in and sauté to onions, garlic, apples, and sweet potatoes until soften and lightly browned. Place in a baking dish and place the chicken on top of it.
- Deglaze the pan with some chicken stock and add in the miso paste and the half of an apple that was set aside earlier. Let the mixture simmer until it's around half the original amount, this will get the miso and apple flavours into the stock.
- Now pour the liquid into the baking dish, making sure to have covered the chicken breasts while pouring.
- Pop the baking dish into the oven and let it bake for 20-25 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- While cooking, prep your bok choy by lightly coating it with oil, salt, and pepper and evenly placing the vegetable onto a sheet pan.
- With 10 minutes left to bake for the chicken, place the sheet pan with the bok choy into the oven.
- Once everything is cooked, finish with a drizzle of lemon and served immediately.
[Tweet “Infused with a delicious sweet apple flavour, this Sweet Miso Apple Chicken with Roasted Bok Choy and Sweet Potatoes is sure to give your dinner a fresh new twist! #easydinner #deliciousdinners @OntarioApple #OnAppleADay”]
Let’s Chat! What’s your favourite freezer friendly meal?
Want to try another easy chicken recipes? Check these recipes out
- Sheet Pan Cashew Chicken with Veggies
- Sheet Pan Chicken Teriyaki with Veggies and Pineapple Meal Prep
- One Pan Spicy Pineapple Chicken Meals
- Chipotle Inspired Spicy Chicken and Rice Meal Prep
- One Sheet Pan Sweet and Savory Chicken Meal Prep
Other places to connect with me
Instagram: @runcarmyrun @curiouslychasing @carmyshungry
Vlogs/Recipe Videos: Youtube