Ridiculously easy, comforting, and delicious, this Instant Pot Beef and Pasta inspired by Beefaroni is going hit the spot!
Instant Pot Beef and Pasta aka Beefaroni
I think you’re gonna really like this! I’ve had my fair share of canned beefaroni growing up and whenever I see it on sale at the grocery store, I’m always tempted to buy a can.
There’s just something about having a beefy pasta that just hits the spot for me. Doesn’t matter if it’s the middle of summer, if you had me a bowl of beef and pasta, I’m going to like you.
This homemade beefaroni wanna-be is my take on it via the Instant Pot. It’s quick, easy, and if you sprinkle some basil on top, you make it fancier 😉
Related Recipe: Instant Pot Healthier Hamburger Helper
What You’ll Need To Make This Instant Pot Beefaroni
- olive oil
- ground beef
- beef stock
- cavatappi pasta
- optional: basil
- optional but recommended: parmesan
How To Make Instant Pot Beef and Pasta
On sauté mode, add in your olive oil and onions. Give it a stir for a minute to soften the onions before adding in garlic and ground beef.
Brown the ground beef in the Instant Pot for 2-4 minutes, breaking up large pieces.
Add in a pinch of salt and a splash of your beef stock to deglaze your pot (scrape and loosen any browned bits on the bottom of the Instant Pot with the stock).
Layer in the passata, cavatappi pasta, and finally the rest of your beef stock. Do not stir. Gently pat the pasta into the liquid if needed (see video!).
Place on your lid, seal, and select manual and set for 5 minutes.
Quick release when done and stir in basil and parmesan if desired.
Can You Freeze Instant Pot Beef and Pasta?
Yes! It can be frozen after it’s been cooked for up to 3 months.
I freeze them in individual meal prep containers so they’re pre-portioned for when I’m craving them.
I use these airtight container to store the beefaroni when meal prepping or freezing.
Thawing: remove the lid that covered the dish in the freezer. The cover might have frozen condensation, which, when melted, will drop water onto the beefaroni. Cover the pasta with a fresh lid when thawing the overnight in the fridge. Microwave to reheat.
Alternatively, thaw the frozen pasta in a cold water bath. Microwave to reheat.
Tips and Notes on Making this Instant Pot Beefaroni
- This recipe has only been testing in the Instant Pot DUO 6qt – you may have to adjust the amount of liquid added if you have a different size/model.
- You cannot substitute the passata for a tomato sauce. Passata is an uncooked tomato purée that has been strained of seeds and skins. It is also thinner than your traditional tomato sauce which is why this recipe does not burn vs using a thick sauce.
- Want to make this beefaroni healthier? After you’ve quick released the Instant Pot, stir in 2-3 handfuls of baby spinach.
- If you are interested in a meat subscription so you’ll always have meat in your freezer, check out Butcherbox for hormone and antibiotic free meat delivered to your door! Use “AP10” for $10 off and free bacon in their first box! Shipping is free.
- If you can’t find cavatappi pasta, pick a pasta that has a lot of nooks and crannies such as shells, mini penne, elbows, and corkscrew-y types of pasta.
Instant Pot Beef and Pasta
- On sauté mode, add in your olive oil and onions. Give it a stir for a minute to soften the onions before adding in garlic and ground beef.
- Brown the ground beef in the Instant Pot for 2-4 minutes, breaking up large pieces.
- Add in a pinch of salt and a splash of your beef stock to deglaze your pot (scrape and loosen any browned bits on the bottom of the Instant Pot with the stock).
- Layer in the passata, cavatappi pasta, and finally the rest of your beef stock. Do not stir. Gently pat the pasta into the liquid if needed.
- Place on your lid, seal, and select manual and set for 5 minutes.
- Quick release when done and stir in basil and parmesan if desired.
WANT MORE INSTANT POT RECIPES?
- Healthier Instant Pot Butter Chicken
- Healthy Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
- Easy Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Spicy Chicken and Rice, Inspired by Chipotle
- Instant Pot Kung Pao Chicken and Rice
- Korean Inspired Instant Pot Ragu
- Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
RESOURCES AND TIPS FOR MEAL PREPPING
- How To Cook Chicken Breasts Perfectly
- What Is An Instant Pot
- Tips To Help You Meal Prep For The Week Successfully
- Tips for Meal Prepping on a Budget
- 7 Freezer Friendly Chicken Marinades
- 5 Freezer Friendly Marinades
- Meal Prep Support: https://www.facebook.com/groups/mealprepsupport/