A staple in my meal prep, here’s how I make the perfect Instant Pot Quinoa! Fluffy, quick, and fail-proof!
Instant Pot Quinoa
Quinoa is pretty much a staple in my household – I always have a bag or two in my pantry in addition to a couple jars from bulk food stores. Making quinoa in the Instant Pot is just so simple – while it isn’t too much work cooking it on the stovetop, I like that I can just start the Instant Pot and walk away, not having to wait for the quinoa to hit its boiling point, opening the lid to avoid it boiling over, and then maybe, just maybe, walking away from it but having to keep an eye on my watch so I don’t end up with burnt quinoa.
With the Instant Pot, once I’ve set it, it’ll come up to pressure and with the NPR (natural pressure release) for 10 minutes, I’m pretty set to walk away and do other chores around the house.
Important Tips on Cooking Quinoa in the Instant Pot
- Less liquid is used in Instant Pot quinoa than stovetop.
- Use cooking spray to keep sticking to a minimum (and clean up easier!).
- Add any extra flavour boosters you’d like into the pot before you cook it so the flavours are soaked into the quinoa and aren’t just added on top of cooked quinoa.
- This is debatable as it depends on your personal quinoa, while some people swear by rinsing their quinoa before cooking, I do not rinse mine. Rinsing removes the quinoa’s natural coating, saponin, which can make it taste bitter or soapy. However, the quinoa I purchased is pre-washed and cleaned.
- Please note this recipe is for white quinoa only – other types of quinoas require a different cook time.
- To bring the pressure up faster, you can use hot liquid if you wish.
What You’ll Need To Make Quinoa in the Instant Pot
- cooking spray
- water or stock of choice
How To Cook Quinoa In The Instant Pot
Spray the liner of the Instant Pot with some cooking spray.
Add in the quinoa, liquid, and salt.
Set to high pressure for 1 minute then allow for the pressure to release naturally (quick release after 10 minutes if it’s not done).
Fluff and serve!
Ways To Add Flavour to Instant Pot Quinoa
- I like to use chicken broth or stock instead of water to add flavour. Beef or veggie stock or bone broth are another option.
- Adding “flavour boosters” like onions or garlic.
- Adding a squeeze of lemon.
- Adding a bit of butter and some herbs.
- Cooking with orange juice as the liquid – such as The Fit Cookie’s Sesame Orange Instant Pot Quinoa
- Pairing it up with fruits – such as Rhubarbarian’s Grapefruit Quinoa Salad with Herbs and Walnuts
How To Freeze Quinoa for Later / Make Quinoa Ahead of Time for Meal Prepping
I store my quinoa in the fridge for up to 5 days for meal prepping.
To freeze, allow the quinoa to cool completely after cooking and then freeze the quinoa in 1 to 2 cup portions in freezer safe bags or containers so the quinoa is pre-portioned. Defrost in fridge overnight before using.
Ways To Use Quinoa
Instant Pot Quinoa
- cooking spray
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1.5 cups water or stock of choice
- 1 pinch salt
- Spray the liner of the Instant Pot with some cooking spray.
- Add in the quinoa, liquid, and salt.
- Set to high pressure for 1 minute (it will take up to 5 minutes to build pressure) then allow for the pressure to release naturally (quick release after 10 minutes if it’s not done).
- Fluff and serve!
RESOURCES AND TIPS FOR MEAL PREPPING
- How To Cook Chicken Breasts Perfectly
- What Is An Instant Pot
- Tips To Help You Meal Prep For The Week Successfully
- Tips for Meal Prepping on a Budget
- 7 Freezer Friendly Chicken Marinades
- 5 Freezer Friendly Marinades
- Meal Prep Support Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/mealprepsupport/