This (dairy-free, vegan) cashew cream is super versatile. It’s perfect for dips, in cream-based sauces, or as a replacement for wherever you need to use heavy cream!
What is Cashew Cream?
Cashew cream is a thick, pale creamy sauce that has the consistency of yogurt. However, surprisingly cashew cream tastes only a small bit like cashews. It works great as a dip, substituting where cream would be use in sauces, cream cheese, sour cream, or as a replacement in where heavy cream in general would be used.
Despite not being dairy-free or a vegan, I love cashew cream! It’s so tasty! It also doesn’t take much effort to make and it’s super handy to have around if you have friends with dietary restrictions.
What You’ll Need To Make Cashew Cream
- raw cashews
- pinch of salt
- high power blender
I get my raw cashews at a local bulk food store. Be sure that the cashews you are getting are raw, unroasted ones. If you’re in Canada, you should keep an eye out for Bulk Barn’s $3 off $10 coupons. A pound of raw cashews comes up to around $10 so it works out to $7 if you want to make around 4-5 cups of cashew cream!
How Long To Soak Cashews to Make Cashew Cream
It is important that you soak your raw cashews in order to turn it into a cashew cream. Soaking softens the cashews which makes them blend more easier into a smooth sauce. The longer you soak the cashews, the creamier your cashew cream will become!
I personally prefer the overnight oak method but if you’re in a pinch, here are a couple methods on how to soak cashews to make cashew cream!
- Quick Soak: Need your cashew cream fast? Pour boiling water over the raw cashews in a heat safe jar or bowl and let them soak for about an hour before draining and rinsing.
- Super Fast Soak: Need your cashew cream right away? I’ve heard you can boil your cashews with 3 parts water for 10-15 minutes on the stovetop but I’ve never tried this.
- Overnight Soak: This method is my favourite – soak your cashews overnight in a jar or bowl on the kitchen table overnight. If you have a high power blender like I do, you could get away with a 3-4 hour soak instead but I prefer soaking my cashews overnight for maximum creaminess.
How To Make Cashew Cream
- Soak the raw cashews overnight with at least one inch of water on top of the cashews. I usually use a large mason jar or bowl.
- Drain and rinse the cashews before using.
- Add the cashews, salt, and water to a high powered blender and blend for 1-2 minutes until smooth. Add more water for a thinner consistency.
- Store in an airtight container and in the fridge for up to 5 days.
How To Make a Savoury Cashew Cream
- To make a savoury cashew cream, add in one cup of basil, a pinch of salt, and 3-4 cloves of garlic per every 1 cup of cashews.
How To Turn Cashew Cream into Cashew Milk
If you can make cashew cream then you are one step away from making cashew milk! For cashew cream, I soak 1 cup of raw cashews and blend it with 1/2 cup water. To make cashew milk, add in 3-4 cups of water to the blender instead of 1/2 cup. Until almond milk, cashew milk is much creamier and you do not have to strain it.
How Long Does Cashew Cream Last?
- In the fridge: store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- In the freezer: up to 6 months.
What To Use Cashew Cream For?
- cashew milk
- thickener in soup
- dipping sauce
- mayo alternative
- vegan Alfredo sauce
- mixed into mashed potatoes
- stir into some oatmeal
- salad dressing
Basic Cashew Cream
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pinch salt
Savoury Cashew Cream
- 1 cup basil
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- After draining and rinsing raw cashews that were soaked overnight, add the cashews, salt, and water to a high powered blender and blend for 1-2 minutes until smooth. Add more water for a thinner consistency.
- To make a savoury cashew cream, add basil and garlic to the blender as well.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
RESOURCES AND TIPS FOR MEAL PREPPING
- How To Cook Chicken Breasts Perfectly
- What Is An Instant Pot
- Tips To Help You Meal Prep For The Week Successfully
- Tips for Meal Prepping on a Budget
- 7 Freezer Friendly Chicken Marinades
- 5 Freezer Friendly Marinades