This Instant Pot Shredded Chicken is perfectly moist, tender, and easy to make! Use this shredded chicken for your meal prep, freeze for later, or as an addition to any meal you’ve got planned for the week!
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
Shredded chicken breasts has been a staple in my meal prep. Ever since I got an Instant Pot, I’ve been using it to make my shredded chicken because it’s just so darn easy! It’s honestly so easy that for the longest time, I wasn’t even sure if I was going to make a post about it but after making it for the millionth time this month, I decided that I might as well take a couple photos so I can always refer to this blog post whenever anyone asks!
Using the Instant Pot leads to some super moist shredded chicken and is the easiest way to make shredded chicken!
Having shredded Instant Pot chicken in the fridge or freezer is so handy. Some weeks, I go with a buffet style meal prep (ie a container of roasted assorted veggies, different grains, etc) and it’s so easy to just toss some shredded chicken in the container the morning of and some dressing of choice (this one’s my fav). Then the next day’s container, I just use a different dressing! It helps mix things up and nixes the boredom! Shredded chicken meal prep recipes I’ve been loving lately are these two recipes: easy freezer friendly salsa chicken soup and cold chicken pasta salad. They’re pretty much a staple in my household.
Related Recipe You May Like: How to Cook a Whole Chicken in an Instant Pot
What You Need To Make Shredded Chicken in the Instant Pot
- chicken breasts
- garlic powder
How To Make Shredded Chicken Breast in the Instant Pot
In the Instant Pot, put in the chicken breast, salt, garlic powder, and water.
Put on the lid and set the vent to sealing.
Set for 8-10 minutes on manual pressure, depending on the size of your chicken breasts. The general rule of thumb is 6 minutes per pound for chicken breasts.
Once done, Quick Release and remove the chicken breasts to shred with two forks (optional NPR for 10 minutes).
Store in the fridge for up to five days in an airtight container.
Tips On Making the Perfect Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
This shredded chicken recipe was only tested in the Instant Pot DUO Plus 60, 6 Qt 9-in-1.
Do not be concerned about over seasoning as you drain most of the liquid.
If you have time you can Natural Pressure Release for 10 minutes. I’ve walked away from the IP before and forgot about my chicken breasts and I didn’t find there to be much of a difference.
For an extra oomph, add some of the cooking liquid from the Instant Pot back to the shredded chicken for extra moisture and flavour.
Don’t wait too long between the chicken breasts being cooked and shredding – chicken breasts shred easiest when they’re warm.
You can use a KitchenAid mixer to shred your breasts quickly and easily.
Store shredded chicken breasts in the freezer for up to three months. I like to freeze them in 1 cup/1 breasts increments so I can pull out just what I need to defrost.
Ways To Use Shredded Chicken for Meal Prepping
Shredded Instant Pot chicken is also great to have on hand as it’s perfect to have some moist shredded chicken to throw in some soup, salad, or if you want to add some additional protein into a meal. Here are some ideas of how to use shredded chicken:
- Cold Chicken Spinach Pasta Salad
- Freezer Chicken Burritos
- Cold Chicken Pasta with Broccoli and Peas
- Freezer Friendly Chicken and Cheese Hand Pies
- These three recipes that I make with leftover chicken
- Chicken Mason Jar Salad
- Chicken Pepperoni Pasta Salad
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- In the Instant Pot, put in the chicken breast, salt, garlic powder, and water.
- Put on the lid and set the vent to sealing.
- Set for 8-10 minutes on manual pressure, depending on the size of your chicken breasts. The general rule of thumb is 6 minutes per pound for chicken breasts.
- Once done, Quick Release and remove the chicken breasts to shred with two forks (optional NPR for 10 minutes).
- Store in the fridge for up to five days in an airtight container.
Did you make this Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Breast? Let me know in the comments down below on what you used this shredded chicken for?
RESOURCES AND TIPS FOR MEAL PREPPING
- How To Cook Chicken Breasts Perfectly
- What Is An Instant Pot
- Tips To Help You Meal Prep For The Week Successfully
- Tips for Meal Prepping on a Budget
- 7 Freezer Friendly Chicken Marinades
- 5 Freezer Friendly Marinades
MORE INSTANT POT MEAL PREP RECIPES TO TRY
- Instant Pot Korean Inspired Ragu
- Instant Pot Chicken Tinga
- Instant Pot Coconut Thai Curry Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
- Spicy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Meal Prep (inspired by the chicken burrito bowls from Chipotle)