Filling, healthy, and easy to make, acorn squash is the perfect ingredient for meal preps or as a side dish! Here’s how to quickly make acorn squash in the Instant Pot!
WHAT IS ACORN SQUASH?
Acorn squash, also called pepper squash or Des Moines squash, is a winter squash that is dark green with usually a spot of orange on it. Like it’s name, acorn squash is usually shaped like an acorn and are usually 1-2 pounds.
Acorn squash can be roasted, sauteed, or steamed. Today, I’m going to share with you how use the Instant Pot to cook my acorn squash just a couple of minutes!
Since the acorn squash is being pressure cooked, it doesn’t get the same caramelization roasted acorn squash get. You can put it in the oven to broil for a couple minutes after it’s out of the Instant Pot to get the lovely golden spots on the acorn squash. (Here’s my guide on how to roast acorn squash in the oven)
All in all, even with the broiling, the Instant Pot method for cooking acorn squash is much faster than oven roasting.
What You’ll Need To Make Instant Pot Acorn Squash
- acorn squash
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
How to Prepare Acorn Squash
While my cleaver goes through just about everything, the easiest way to cut your acorn squash is to microwave it for a minute to soften it up.
Cut the acorn squash in half, from stem to bottom.
Scoop out the inside of the acorn squash.
How to cook Acorn Squash in the Instant Pot
Put a steamer basket or the trivet into the Instant Pot.
Add in one cup of water to the Instant Pot.
Drizzle olive oil, salt, and pepper onto the acorn squash before placing them into the Instant Pot.
Close the lid, set the valve to seal, and set the pot on Manual for 5 minutes. Quick release when done!
Serve as is when ready or stuff with your choice of stuffing.
Want to take it up a notch??
To make the acorn squash sweeter, add a tbsp of butter and maple syrup to the middle of the squash. Let the mixture melt for a minute then using brush the entire cut side of the squash with the mixture. The let it broil in the oven for 4-5 minutes.
TIPS, NOTES, AND SUBSTITUTIONS
The seeds that you scooped out earlier can be treated like pumpkin seeds and be roasted.
Instant Pot Acorn Squash
- 1 acorn squash
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Cut the acorn squash in half, from stem to bottom.
- Scoop out the inside of the acorn squash.
- Put a steamer basket or the trivet into the Instant Pot.
- Add in one cup of water to the Instant Pot.
- Drizzle olive oil, salt, and pepper onto the acorn squash before placing them into the Instant Pot.
- Close the lid, set the valve to seal, and set the pot on Manual for 5 minutes. Quick release when done!
- Serve as is when ready or stuff with your choice of stuffing.
- Optional: broil in the oven for 4-5 minutes
MORE DINNER SIDES YOU MAY LIKE
- Easy Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Sweet Potato, Bacon, and Almonds
- Lemon Parmesan Brussels Sprouts
- Peanut Thai Chili Brussels Sprouts
RESOURCES AND TIPS FOR MEAL PREPPING
- How To Cook Chicken Breasts Perfectly
- What Is An Instant Pot
- Tips To Help You Meal Prep For The Week Successfully
- Tips for Meal Prepping on a Budget
- 7 Freezer Friendly Chicken Marinades
- 5 Freezer Friendly Marinades
- Meal Prep Support Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/mealprepsupport